Thursday, November 20, 2008

They Got It- The Right Stuff

NAHREMAN ISSA

 Just this past Tuesday, a part of my childhood returned as the New Kids on the Block returned to Edmonton, 18 years after their last visit. Mind you, I was roughly seven when they were at their peak, so I didn’t have an obsession on them like my older sisters did. But I do credit them for my love affair with the five guys from Boston. 

Now please don’t judge me for being a pop lover because I’m not. This was my very first pop concert. I didn’t know what to expect. But the guys PUT ON A SHOW!

While I wasn’t excited for their new stuff, it was pretty decent. But c’mon, you know everyone was there to hear the big hits such as ‘Step by Step’ and ‘Hanging Tough’. Even though they haven’t performed together for such a long time, they still had it. They sang (no lip-synching thank God!), they danced all around the stage, and they engaged in the audience. Well, everyone but Jonathan Knight. It was as if he didn’t want to be there, but I guess he was always the shy one.

Nice touch with them moving to the back of the arena to another small stage to get closer to fans at the other end at Rexall Place. And of course, the occasional bra was thrown on stage.

My piece of advice with any band that comes to Edmonton, if you want to get on the crowds good side, ALWAYS MENTION HOCKEY! NKOTB are huge sports fans, incorporating it into videos being played at the concert, and Donnie Wahlberg’s Boston hats worn with every outfit change. But the icing on the cake was at the end, when they were performing ‘Hanging Tough’ the boys came out in Oilers away jerseys. That was definitely one of the highlights of the night for me. You can’t go wrong with the Oilers! 

I’ll have a more in-depth concert review in the Nait’s newspaper, The Nugget. If you can’t get a copy, I’ll post it.

 I give this concert FIVE STARS.

No comments: