Tuesday, November 11, 2008

When it comes to customer service in our city, where is it?!

NAHREMAN ISSA

It’s a question that has plagued hundreds of thousands of Albertan’s ever since the “Boom”. Where is the customer service we used to have? Bill Fortier over at CTV did a two part series in regards to this pressing question. He went in undercover to a couple of stores here in our city, and the results are pretty bad. Sadly, they’re not too surprising.

It’s been brutal trying to get any sort of help in many stores. You need to wait a while for any sort of assistance if you’re shopping at any big chain. You get some employees who feel the need to not offer you an enjoyable experience just because they know they can’t get fired for just half-assing it at work.

All I ask for when I go into a store is for the worker to say hello. That’s it! I can’t stand when I walk in and I don’t get acknowledged. If you and I can engage in some partial form of eye contact, how hard is it to say hi.

I understand with the lack of available workers, employees are getting overworked and not appreciated for it. But I acknowledge the efforts these people put in when I actually see them work hard. There are some employees though who are just lazy and couldn’t give a care about anything. How many times have you walked into a store and seen the employees standing around talking to each other, totally oblivious there’s a customer there. It’s always those people who just get on my last nerve.

Here’s my motto… the company you work for may not be your store, but show some initiative. If there’s a huge lineup at your till, instead of gingerly just ringing up the items, work just a little harder to get that line moving faster.

I’m not asking you to work so hard that sweat beads are coming down your face; just please put some effort into it. This may not be your career but it’s your job.

But in the end, while we should hope to get good customer service, the consumer should also be considerate. If the worker is trying their hardest, let them know you appreciate their hard work.

Let’s just hope Fortier’s feature might get employers shaking things up at their work place… and please say hi to every customer that walks in.

Thanks!

No comments: