Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Let It Snow... Nooooooo!

NAHREMAN ISSA

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. It’s a song many people love to sing once the Christmas holiday comes around. Not me though. I’m not a big fan of the fluffy white stuff. In fact, I can’t stand temperatures under the freezing mark. How I continue to live in Alberta, I’ll never understand!

I’ve loved the temperatures so far. Above seasonal temperatures, NO snow, and it was the end of November. I don’t mind having a brown Christmas whatsoever. I remember years ago when it was about mildly warm on Christmas day that there was no snow on the ground. That was great.

Now, before I rip the snow apart, I will say this. If it were to stay like this, only like one to two inches of snow once a week, I’d be happy with that. If all you needed was a broom to brush the snow off sidewalks, I’d be so happy with the light dusting. It would be fantastic if it were to melt the next day.

But when you are shoveling snow up to your knees, the snow plows have built snow castles five feet high, that’s not fun for me. It also doesn’t help when it’s minus 30. Oh God, I’m not ready for the winter. Why does it have to be so cold?

One thing I don’t understand is when I hear people in the city actually want the snow. I overhear sales clerks, people at school, etc, who say they wish it would snow so they can ski, or have a white Christmas. I can sort of understand the people who want to ski or snowboard, but they can go to the mountains for that. Why can’t Mother Nature just let it snow there?

But the people who say they want it to snow here for a white Christmas bother me. Once again, if it were a dusting of snow, it would be okay. But we know Mother Nature is going to unleash her scorn against Albertans and cover us up with the white stuff.

So boo to the snow and the cold temperatures. The only thing that gets me through the initial cold period is that it’s Christmas time. I love this time of year. All I want for Christmas is no snow and above freezing temperatures.

Make that happen Santa (and Mother Nature), I’m sure I must be on the good list.*

*probably not!

No comments: